Facts About Common-Law Partners

Common-law partners are available when it comes to Canadian Immigration. The term refers to a couple who have lived together continuously for more than a year. In the event of family obligation, travel or employment, living separately is accepted when temporary and a combined household is used for most of the time.
After the required time, when applying as common-law partners, both partners are granted the same freedom and rights as that of any married couple when submitting the application for Canadian immigration.
In addition, common-law applies when still married, long as you have lived apart from the spouse over a period of 365 days, while living with another person for a year or longer.
The following are documents you will need to support your common-law status:
  • Telephone records
  • Evidence showing children belonging to one or both partners and live with the couple.
  • Documentation showing the same address for both parties, such as drivers license, ID or insurance policies
  • Sharing household responsibility, including chores, management, etc.
  • Evidence showing joint purchases, particularly household items
  • Corresponding address for both or each party for the same address
  • Utilities are in both names
  • Household expenses are managed jointly
  • Joint rental receipts or residential lease
  • Joint control over credit cards or bank accounts